Oh Where to Begin?
How about right here! This section is aimed at helping people who want learn how to develop Extensions for SketchUp. Before you dive too deep into these lessons, you will probably find them easier to complete if you:
- Have a basic understanding of the Ruby Programming Language.
- Are familiar with using SketchUp for making 3D models.
You should skip down to the "Where to go for Help?" section of this page if you need help brushing up on any of these topics.
The Lesson Plan
The Getting Started lessons are designed to help you get up and running with some of the most fundamental SketchUp Ruby API concepts in a couple of hours. The first lesson is aimed at showing you a simple way to execute Ruby in SketchUp. Each subsequent lesson introduces you to a new general concept. By the end of the Lessons, you should understand how to interact with the SketchUp Model, the SketchUp Interface and the SketchUp User.
Where to go for Help?
Here are a few important things to know about SketchUp and Ruby.
- SketchUp does not rely on you having Ruby installed on your computer.
- SketchUp has Ruby packaged inside of it.
- SketchUp 2014, 2015 and 2016 use Ruby 2.0.0
- SketchUp 2017 uses Ruby 2.2
Ruby Language Resources
Here are a few of our favorite Resources to help you learn the Ruby Programming Language.